Monday, October 20, 2014

Last of the Honeymoon



Day four took us to two different destinations, both somewhat scary.  
 
The first outing of the day took us to Trail Ridge Road, which is a pass through the Rocky Mountains that our host at Stonebrook Resort recommended. Since it was a clear sunny day, with chances of showers for the next couple of days, she suggested making the drive that day as the pass had been closed for three days during the prior week due to four foot snow drifts across the road.

Here are some pictures from that day, if you'd like to see...




See that little road on the far right? That's us. It came all the way around the left side of that open meadow, then started into the mountain.






A picture can't even tell the dramatic drop off that is just past that white line. I have minimal pictures of this drive, for I was either (1.) - closing my eyes or (2.) - angrily telling my husband to drive more carefully. For everyone's information -  he was driving very carefully, but I was scared. I could not stop thinking about vehicle recalls and the fact that our vehicle might suddenly go flying off the side of the mountain.




It felt pretty good to make it to the top alive and it was a short hike to the tippy top at 12,005 ft. For comparison, we entered the park at about 7,500 ft. 

I'm lucky this man loves me because that mountain turned me into a basket-case. When we got back to the bottom, we headed back to our cottage for a well deserved bottle of champagne in the jacuzzi on our deck.

Next on the itinerary? A trip to the Stanley Hotel, of course. 



Most people are familiar with this hotel from the movie 'The Shining' with Jack Nicholson.

GIF

But I prefer to think of it from Dumb and Dumber, because who could be scared of these guys?




We ended up going to the bar and I ordered an Irish Coffee, which was by far the best I've had. I think it was the sugar cube.


After a couple of drinks, we explored the grounds a bit before heading off to dinner. 

All in all, it was a pretty fabulous day.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...