Tuesday, December 8, 2015

She's Already Teaching Me A Thing Or Two


As we wait day after day for our daughter to make her way into this big, wide world, she is already teaching us one of the most important things about being a parent. Patience.

For a couple of weeks now, I've been hiking up and down our hill, climbing our stairs again and again, eating spicy food, filling up on pineapple, washing the floors on hands and knees...pretty much any safe thing that's been suggested hoping to get her out and not go past my due date (why are due dates necessary?!). 

This past weekend, I finally came to terms with the fact that she is going to come whenever her sweet heart desires. There is nothing I'm able to do about it. Sure, I might try to 'help' things along, but ultimately it will happen when it happens. 

This is one of the things that I want to keep at the top of my list of 'parental priorities', if you will. As much as I want and like to control things in my life, she will now be a part of my life, a part that I cannot control. 

Sure, we can try to help as much as possible, giving her nudges in the right direction, but in the end we have to remember that she is her own person and will ultimately have to get there on her own. 

As much as I might want to push her to crawl, talk, walk, learn to read, make new friends, play a sport...all of these things will come in time. Or they may not come at all. It's going to be our job to be there for her, having her back and guiding her while she is testing, learning, and figuring out these new things for herself. 

No matter how caught up we get in day-today- life, I hope to always remember this very important first lesson my unborn daughter has taught me. 

"Patience is not the ability to wait, 
but the ability to keep a good attitude while you are waiting."
-Joyce Meyer

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...